November, 2017

now browsing by month

 

The Dangers of DIY Electricians

Here we see an electrical panel that at first glance looks professional.  The wiring is neat.  The wires are bent and terminate properly.  Upon closer examination, we see where a circuit has been added for an additional outlet in the garage.  This was obviously not done by a professional licensed electrical contractor.

The wiring for the additional circuit was not done by adding a breaker even though there was room in the panel. Instead, the wiring was added directly to the main buss of the panel.

DSC09344a

You can see the two wires screwed directly to the buss bars.  This essentially created a 220 volt, 20 amp circuit that is protected only by the 150 amp main breaker.  This is very wrong and very dangerous.  This circuit could be overloaded to the point that the insulation could melt on the wiring and the wiring could get hot enough to create a fire.

 

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com