diy

now browsing by tag

 
 

The Dangers of DIY Electricians

Here we see an electrical panel that at first glance looks professional.  The wiring is neat.  The wires are bent and terminate properly.  Upon closer examination, we see where a circuit has been added for an additional outlet in the garage.  This was obviously not done by a professional licensed electrical contractor.

The wiring for the additional circuit was not done by adding a breaker even though there was room in the panel. Instead, the wiring was added directly to the main buss of the panel.

DSC09344a

You can see the two wires screwed directly to the buss bars.  This essentially created a 220 volt, 20 amp circuit that is protected only by the 150 amp main breaker.  This is very wrong and very dangerous.  This circuit could be overloaded to the point that the insulation could melt on the wiring and the wiring could get hot enough to create a fire.

 

The Bathroom Vent That Didn’t

In the bathroom, the vent seemed to be working fine.  However, upon looking in the attic we see the vent is not exactly doing its job.

DSC07277a

The large black coupling at the top of the foto should be connected to a duct pipe to evacuate the moist air out of the bathroom and out of the attic space.  Instead, it is dumping humid air into the insulation beside it.  This will create a perfect environment to grow mold (moisture and warmth).

The sad part is that the exhaust duct was just to the right of the picture. Had the vent been installed 180 degrees around, it could have been fine.

DSC07278a

 

Do-It-Your-Self’er Strikes Again

Here we see a prime example of someone that has watched too much HGTV.  This is Non-Metallic Electrical Conduit being used for plumbing.  Granted, they are both Schedule 40 PVC, but NM conduit is not rated for plumbing, and not rated for exterior use.  This is another example of why you should use a licensed professional when doing work around the home.DSC05992

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com