now browsing by tag
i-Inspect is still working. As part of a real estate transaction, we are considered essential (along with Real Estate Agents and Buyers). But, COVID is still a thing. At i-Inspect, we’re taking a very cautious approach to this disease. We’ve taken courses in safety. We are not encouraging Client’s to be with us on inspections at the time being. We won’t tell you to leave, but we may offer you a mask and gloves. Please don’t bring the family. If the home is occupied, we will wear masks, gloves and booties to both prevent leaving anything behind and to prevent picking up anything while we are there.
Come Friday morning (May 1st), Florida is opening up some of our businesses again. We hope this helps our local economy and our small business owners. These are indeed interesting times. May the month of May bring you good tidings.
We’ve not been idle.
I think a lot of us have not been as busy as we’d like to be. (If you have been, good for you.) Instead of watching Netflix, we’ve been investing in additional advanced education. The logo above is from Home Inspector University for the Advanced Pool Inspection course. Very intensive and goes way above and beyond the State’s Standard for pool inspections.
Lots of products have stickers or tags when you purchase them. Most of them can be removed. For example, you don’t keep the stickers and tags on your clothes. But most of you do leave the tag on your mattress.
Some tags are important to be left in place. The one on your garage door, entry door or window may save you money when your home inspector does a Wind Mitigation Inspection for you. These stickers tell the inspector if the product is impact rated or wind rated, and how much they are rated.
A few of you seem to be unable to live with a sticker up at the top of your window behind the blinds. Removing this sticker removes any certification for wind or impact rating for that window.
Same for doors, but the sticker tends to be in the jamb, near the hinge or up on top of the door.
Garage doors have many stickers. Most are warnings not to mess with the springs, don’t stick you fingers in the pinch points, or to be under the door when it comes down. The important one for your home inspection is the wind load rating.
In short, don’t take the sticker off of your home’s products. It may cost you money in the long run.
You see these on almost every roof. They are the vent pipes that let the sewer drain pipes “breathe”. Without vents, your drain pipes would not function properly. Much like holding your finger over the top of a straw and finding out the liquid will not drain out of the straw, your drainage system needs to allow air in to allow liquids out.
Most of our vent drains have a lead boot covering them. Something like this:
But if you have squirrels in your neighborhood, and they travel across your roof, they will often stop to gnaw on these lead vents. Evidently, chewing on the lead feels good to them. The down side is that once they chew through the top of the boot, moisture (rain) can get into the home via the gap now in the system. This water will drain down into a wall cavity where it and it’s associated damage are hidden from view.
Here we can see two examples of failed boots. They both are allowing water into the walls of the home.
Here we see an electrical panel that at first glance looks professional. The wiring is neat. The wires are bent and terminate properly. Upon closer examination, we see where a circuit has been added for an additional outlet in the garage. This was obviously not done by a professional licensed electrical contractor.
The wiring for the additional circuit was not done by adding a breaker even though there was room in the panel. Instead, the wiring was added directly to the main buss of the panel.
You can see the two wires screwed directly to the buss bars. This essentially created a 220 volt, 20 amp circuit that is protected only by the 150 amp main breaker. This is very wrong and very dangerous. This circuit could be overloaded to the point that the insulation could melt on the wiring and the wiring could get hot enough to create a fire.